mercoledì 10 luglio 2013

Interview: Steven Tang | Disconnect To Connect - Smallville Records

Discosafari - Interview: Steven Tang | Disconnect To Connect

Abbiamo avuto il piacere e l'opportunità di fare quattro chiacchere con Steven Tang fresco di album su Smallville Records.
Alessandro Gambo lo ha raggiunto, ecco cosa ci ha detto:



-As you live in Chicago since 1981, you saw the beginning of the house music… how this had impact on the way you listen to the music, you dance and you live it? before the house music arrival, what did you listen to?

When I arrived in Chicago back then, I was too young to see what was going on. I was 9 or 10 years old, so I was unable to go to clubs. Haha!
Before house music, I listened to popular music of the times; mostly 80's pop stuff like Madonna, Thompson Twins, Duran Duran, Human League, etc. I never took music seriously back then. I liked music, but I guess I consumed it passively like most people. I thought whatever I heard on the radio is the only music available. But soon after I discovered house music though, I realized that there is other music out there that you don't get to hear on the radio all the time, so I knew I had to search for it. That goes for other genres of music as well like Rock, Jazz, Funk, Soul, etc. House music in Chicago during the 80's really opened my mind up to the idea of alternatives. The impact on me was tremendous in my development as a music collector and eventually as a DJ/producer.



-Which producers have you been inspired by? And which DJs have made you dance?

The producer that have inspired me most would be Mr. Larry Heard. His tracks "Can You Feel It" and "Beyond The Clouds" under his Mr. Fingers alias blew my mind when I was a teen.
There are many others producers that have inspired me as well over the years; too many to list here. Let's just say most are from Chicago and/or Detroit.
The DJ's that made me dance when I was old enough to go to a club or an underground party would be Derrick Carter and Spencer Kincy. Currently, DJs that make me dance includes Keith Worthy, Lawrence, Smallpeople, Specter, Chicago Skyway, Big Strick, Patrice Scott, Basic Soul Unit, Tamo Sumo, XDB, Steffi, Floating Points, Derrick May, Jeff Mills,
Fred P
etc. So many others...




-What was the spark that made you jump to the other side of the console and become a DJ?

It started when a friend ask me to bring some records to a house party. This party only had one turntable. I played one tune after the other. That was it. The bug was planted.
Then as my record collection grew, I decided to learn to DJ properly. On my 16th birthday, I asked my mom to get me these cheap Gemini turntables. It was still only a hobby then, but over the years it became more serious. When you get a taste of playing in front of people and seeing them respond positively to what you are doing, you just want to do it more and more. It's a natural high.




-In Europe, when we talk about Chicago and Detroit, we visualize them as music cities, always animated by the electronic music rhythm. Can you tell us how the real contemporary scene is?

People always romanticize about Chicago and Detroit; plus the particular time in history of those places by the stories they hear or read about. It goes the same for those in America who romanticize about the music scene in Europe. 
But that was the 80's! 
Today, the reality is, most scenes, in most cities are very similar if not the same.
You have your small underground microcosms, all the way up to your huge EDM clubs and festivals! Chicago and Detroit is this way now, just like most cities in Europe. It is this way because electronic music is not new. Every one knows about now. Where as in the 80's, the scene was only known inside Chicago and Detroit.


-What do you think about / which kind of relationship do you have with foreign producers declaring to play and release Chicago House music?
do you think the genre is something strongly linked to the ground? Do the ground and the city inspire your music productions?

I have no problem with foreign producers declaring to play or release "Chicago style" house music. I welcome it. Some hit the spot and some don't. Partly because I think you have to have that experience linked with the city of Chicago. The experience of living in Chicago and the music scene of that era, totally inspire my music productions. No doubt about it. But I've been told I do not sound like the old stuff, even though you can hear the influences. That's why I think people are noticing my work now even more.




-On your promo-press it's written that you've decided to work with the German label Smallville because of the feeling among you, it's label manager and their way of interpreting the music. Can you describe these good vibes and tell us which are the requirements you look for before start a "journey" with somebody?

There is no specific requirement, but being nice and friendly do help. The reason I asked them was because they are only one of a few labels that produce full artwork with their vinyl releases. I wanted that for my album. Plus, I liked the artwork of Stefan Marx, the artist who does all the artwork for the label. So it made sense to me. I was not thinking about whether my music fit with the rest of Smallville's catalog. Frankly, I don't care about that. Luckily, Smallville said yes before even hearing a track. I guess they don't care either.




 -Who do you think now is making a good job? if you seek "house music" on a internet search engine, first results are terrible tracks (ups!), having nothing to compare with the real roots house music. how do you see this trend? is it just a crossed wires of names and genres?

I am probably biased when I say this, but I also have access to the people who I think are making, or releasing great music currently. Artists like Chicago Skyway, Keith Worthy, Specter, Ike Release, Spirit Of The Black 808, XDB, Patrice Scott, Michael Zucker, Hakim Murphy, etc. The only time I do a search is when I am looking to buy some new or used vinyl. I am very specific in what I am looking for. Artists that is looking for
 fame and fortune will always take used labels and genres and make it their own to confuse the public. I don't follow those trends, because trends die. 



 
-2013 question… analogical or digital sounds? vinyls or mp3?

I prefer great sound! Does not matter if it's analog or digital.
 Vinyl over MP3, of course!




-And last but not least, can you tell us your top 5 records?

In no particular order:
Mr. Fingers - Can You Feel It
My Mine - Hypnotic Tango
Model 500 - No UFO's
Liaisons Dangereuses - Liaisons Dangereuses
Chip E - Jack Trax



Alessandro Gambo 



Italian Version: 



- Vivi a Chicago dal 1981, hai visto l'inizio del' house music, tutto questo ha avuto un impatto sul modo in cui ascolti, balli e vivi la musica? Prima dell'arrivo del' house music cosa ascoltavi?

Quando sono arrivato a Chicago ero troppo giovane per vedere e capire cosa stava succedendo. Avevo 9 0 10 anni, quindi non ho potuto frequentare i club. Haha!
Prima della musica house, ho ascoltato la musica popolare dei tempi, roba per lo più 80's come Madonna, Thompson Twins, Duran Duran, Human League, ecc, non ho mai preso sul serio la musica a quei tempi. Mi piaceva la musica, ma credo di averla consumata passivamente come la maggior parte delle persone. Pensavo che tutto ciò che sentivo alla radio fosse l' unica musica disponibile. Subito dopo ho scoperto la house music, e mi sono reso conto che c'era un mondo al difuori della radio  in cui avrei dovuto iniziare la mia ricerca. Questo vale anche per altri generi come il Rock, Jazz, Funk e Soul . La musica house negli anni 80 ha davvero aperto le menti con idee alternative che hanno avuto, su di me, un forte impatto nel mio sviluppo come collezionista di musica e infine anche come Dj e produttore.

- Quali produttori ti hanno ispirato? Quali Dj ti hanno fatto ballare?

Il produttore che mi ha ispirato di più è Mr. Larry Heard. Le sue tracce "Can You Feel It" e "Beyond The Clouds", sotto il moniker di Mr. Fingers,  hanno riempito la mia mente di adolescente.
Ci sono molti produttori che mi hanno issirato corso degli anni, troppi da elencare. Diciamo solo che la maggior parte di loro si dividono tra Chicago e Detroit.
I Dj che mi han fatto ballare quando avevo l'età per andare nei club, sono Darrick Carter e Spencer Kincy. Attualmente, ballo con Keith Worthy, Lawrence, Smallpeople, Specter, Chicago Skyway, Big Strick, Patrice Scott, Basic Soul Unit, Tamo Sumo, XDB, Steffi, Floating Points, Derrick May, Jeff Mills, Fred P, e molti altri.


- Qual'è stata la scintilla che ti ha fatto saltare dall'altra parte della consolle e diventare un Dj?


Tutto è cominciato quando un amico mi ha chiesto di portare alcuni dischi ad una festa in casa. In questo party avevano solo un giradischi. Ho suonato un brano dopo l'altro. E tutto cominciò.
Poi la mia collezione di dischi è cresciuta e ho deciso di imparare l'arte del Dj.
Al mio 16° compleanno, ho chiesto a mia madre di regalarmi dei giradischi Gemini a buon mercato. Era ancora solo un hobby che nel corso degli anni è diventato cosa seria.
Quando si ottiene soddisfazione nel suonare davanti alle persone e vederli rispondere positivamente a ciò che stai facendo, lo si vuol fare sempre di più.
E' un atto naturale.


- In Europa, quando si parla di Chicago e Detroit, si parla di città che vivono di musica. Puoi parlarci della scena contemporanea di queste città?

Le persone idealizzano sempre Chicago e Detroit attingendo dalla storia che questi luoghi hanno vissuto e creato. Vale lo stesso per gli americani che idealizzano la scena musicale europea.
Ma quello erano gli anni 80.
Oggi, la realtà è, per la maggior parte delle scene, nella maggior parte delle città, molto simile se non uguali.
In Europa avete i vostri piccoli microcosmi sotterranei,  enormi club e grandi festival  e la situazione è oramai identica anche a Chicago e Detroit.

- Che ne pensi e che tipo di rapporti hai con i produttori stranieri che dichiarano di giocare e rilasciare Chicago House Music?
Pensi che il genere sia qualcosa di fortemente legato alla terra? Terra e città ispirano le vostre produzioni musicali?


Non ho alcun problema con i produttori stranieri che dichiarano di giocare o di rilasciare musica house in stile Chicago. Me ne rallegro. Alcuni sono azzeccati e altri no. L'esperienza di vivere a Chicago e la scena musicale di quel periodo, hanno totalmente ispirato le mie produzioni, non ci sono dubbi, ma i miei lavori non suonano come la roba vecchia anche se si sentono le influenze. Ecco perché credo che le persone stanno notando il mio lavoro, ora ancora di più.


Sulla promo press è scritto che hai deciso di lavorare con l'etichetta tedesca Smallville perché c'è feeling tra te, il label manager e il loro modo di interpretare la musica. Puoi descrivere queste vibrazioni e dirci quali sono i requisiti che cerchi prima di iniziare un "viaggio" con qualcuno?

Non vi è alcun requisito specifico, ma essere gentile ed amichevole, aiuta. La ragione per cui ho chiesto a Smallville sta nel fatto che è una delle poche etichette a curare le uscite arricchendole di materiale illustrativo ed io volevo, per il mio lavoro, l'opera di Stefan Marx che si occupa di tutto l'artwork della label. Non ho mai pensato se la mia musica fosse adatta al catalogo Smallville, francamente non mi interessava e credo non interessi neanche a loro.

- Chi credi stia facendo un buon lavoro? Se cerchi house music su qualche motore di ricerca, i primi risultati sono tracce terribili e che non hanno nulla a che vedere con le vere origini del genere. Come vedi questa tendenza? E' solo un intreccio di nomi e generi?

Artisti come  Chicago Skyway, Keith Worthy, Specter, Ike Release, Spirit Of The Black 808, XDB, Patrice Scott, Michael Zucker, Hakim Murphy stanno rilasciando grande musica al momento.
Non seguo le tendenze e credo che gli artisti alla ricerca di fama e fortuna tendano a far proprio un genere o delle label confondendo però il pubblico e senza capire che le tendenze prima o poi muoiono.


- Domanda del 2013 … analogico o suoni digitali? vinili o mp3?


Io preferisco un suono! Non importa se analogico o digitale.
Vinile sopra gli mp3, naturalmente!

- Puoi darci la tua top 5?

In nessun ordine particolare:
Mr. Fingers - Can You Feel It My Mine - Hypnotic Tango
Model 500 - No UFO's
Liaisons Dangereuses - Liaisons Dangereuses
Chip E - Jack Trax



Alessandro Gambo 








 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento