martedì 24 giugno 2014
FABRIC 77 - Marcel Dettmann - Fabric Records
German producer and DJ, Marcel Dettmann takes the helm for the 77th part of the Fabric mix series.
Growing up in Fürstenwalde in the former German Democratic Republic, Dettmann has been influenced by various music styles since he was a child. His grandmother worked as a music teacher and inspired Marcel and his family to play instruments. In addition the radio at Marcel´s home was always on if there was already no record playing.
Little by little he discovered the likes of Depeche Mode, The Cure or DAF, then later Detroit Techno and Chicago House. As they only had a record player at home he obviously just bought vinyls. His passion led him to start recording mix tapes for himself and his friends, and he also began to organise parties in his hometown. When school and apprenticeships didn’t seem to work out he ran a small record store in the house of his mother. It was with this job that he financed the beginning of his own elaborate record collection.
Dettmann was DJing at the club Ostgut from the late 90s - the forerunner to Berghain. For a decade he’s been a resident DJ of the world renowned club in Berlin. Even though Marcel is involved with several labels such as Ostgut Ton, for the fabric mix he prefered to pick mostly unreleased material from his own imprint, Marcel Dettmann Recordings (MDR).
“I mixed it at home with 2 CD players, as most of the tracks are not available on vinyl yet.
The mix is mostly based on unreleased MDR demo tracks, which I’ve carried around with me for the last few years. For example the ROD track, I’ve had this one for at least 3 years. Now it is finally a good opportunity to release those tracks and they will all come out on MDR.” - Marcel Dettmann
Marcel chose to incorporate a variety of techno sounds in this mix – including tracks from fellow MDR artists Answer Code Request and Norman Nodge, to younger names in the industry that he's recruited for his label, such as Wincent Kunth, and a number of his own remixes, tied together by releases by the likes of Terence Fixmer and Robert Hood’s Monobox.
Fabric 77 is a well-balanced snapshot of current techno in a master’s hands. It may surprise some listeners with its vibrancy, delicacy and range that reaches far beyond the sound you would expect in a dark sweaty club at 6am.
It’s a perfect personal reflection of Marcel’s love of all music and techno in particular.
Marcel Dettmann will launch fabric 77 at fabric on Saturday 30th August (tickets: http://www.fabriclondon.com/club/listing/947) and at Berghain on Saturday 6th September.
1. Ryan James Ford - Arthure Iccon [MDR]
2. The Persuader - Sun Position [Concrete Music]
3. Terence Fixmer - Inside Of Me [Planete Rouge]
4. Marcel Dettmann - Apron (PAS The Rhythm Remix) [MDR]
5. Answer Code Request - Transit 0.2 [MDR]
6. Dario Zenker - Nearlin [MDR]
7. Monobox - Film [M-Plant]
8. FBK - It’s Not The Point [MDR]
9. Marcel Dettmann - Radar (Byetone Remix) [Ostgut Ton]
10. Rod - RSPCT [MDR]
11. Paperclip People - Country Boy Goes Dub (Marcel Dettmann Remix) [Planet E]
12. Norman Nodge - BB 1.0 [MDR]
13. Francois X - Rising [MDR]
14. Marcel Dettmann - Lightworks (Phase Remix) [Ostgut Ton]
15. Lockertmatik - M_Lock 4 [MDR]
16. Wincent Kunth - Carlre [MDR]
17. Joey Anderson - Repulsive (Marcel Dettmann Edit) [Dekmantel]
18. Marcelus - Flash [MDR]
19. Vril - Torus XXXII [Forum]